In 2018, the Corinthian Yacht Club to became a full partner in the UN program, #cleanseas campaign. The Club takes responsibility for creating awareness among our members and encouraging them and the wider community to help turn the tide on single-use plastics.
The Corinthian stands as a proactive organization in protecting the Marblehead Harbor and community; where the ocean defines so much of our history. It adds to the quality of life, and is why we choose to live here. We have an obligation to preserve and protect it. The first step is taking personal responsibility. We invite all members to continue to be proactive in this effort.
Corinthian Yacht Club's Commitment
- Take the pledge in support of the #cleanseas campaign
- Launch an educational campaign to create awareness, understanding, and a commitment to action among our members
- Replace plastic bags with paper ones for retail merchandise in the ship's store
- Install a refillable chilled-water bottle station on the lower level of our clubhouse to eliminate single use plastic water bottles
- Replace plastic swizzle/skewer sticks at our two bars with bamboo ones
- Replace plastic straws and cups with vegetable-based, biodegradable polymer ones
- Replace plastic flatware (folks, knives, spoons) in the canteen with plant-based ones
- Continue to look for ways to be environmentally responsible
- Establish a sustainability committee to build on these initial steps and continue to look for other ways to be environmentally responsible
The Corinthian has approximately 600 members, or about 1,200 couples. If two members of each family told three people about this problem and encouraged them to do his/her part in solving it, we would reach 3,600 people. We invite members to join us in getting the word out, and in doing their part as individuals to help turn the tide on plastic:
- Take the pledge personally at https://www.cleanseas.org/pledge
- Tell your family and friends about the problem
- Choose Seek out and choose products with little or no plastic packaging
- Avoid buying drinks in a single-use plastic or styrofoam cups
- Use a refillable water bottle
- Just say no to plastic straws and swizzle sticks, and
- Remember bring and use your reusable shopping bags
This Message is an excerpt from:
Turn The Tide On Plastics: Remarks To The Marblehead Chamber Of Commerce’S “Greening Your Business” Evening
In Collaboration With Sustainable Marblehead, By Corinthian Yacht Club Past Commodore Robert L. Howie, Jr.
Interview with Dee Cafarri