In 2018 the Corinthian Yacht Club became a partner in the UN’s Clean Seas Campaign, and in 2020 we became a partner in Sailors for the Sea Green Boater and Clean Regattas programs. The Club takes responsibility for creating awareness among our members and encouraging them and the wider community to help turn the tide on single-use plastics.
The Corinthian stands as a proactive organization in protecting Marblehead Harbor and the boating and sailing community. The ocean defines so much of our history, adds to our quality of life, and is why we choose to live here. We have an obligation to preserve and protect it. The first step is taking personal responsibility. We invite all members to continue to be proactive in this effort.
Corinthian Yacht Club's Commitment
- Take the pledge and become a Green Boater here.
- Create awareness, understanding, and a commitment to action among our members
- Replace plastic bags with paper for retail merchandise purchases in the Ship's Store
- Install a refillable chilled-water bottle station to eliminate single-use plastic water bottles
- Replace plastic swizzle/skewer sticks at our two bars with bamboo ones
- Replace plastic flatware (folks, knives, spoons), swizzle sticks, and straws everywhere with biodegradable options
- Establish a sustainability committee to build on these initial steps and continue to look for other ways to be environmentally responsible
The Corinthian has approximately 500 members, or about 1,000 couples. If two members of each family told three people about this problem and encouraged them to do his/her part in solving it, we would reach 3,000 people. We invite members to join us in getting the word out, and in doing their part as individuals to help turn the tide on plastic:
- Take the Green Boater pledge personally here
- Tell your family and friends about the problem and what they can do to help solve it
- Choose products with little or no plastic packaging
- Avoid buying drinks in a single-use plastic or Styrofoam cups
- Use a refillable water bottle
- Just say no to plastic straws and swizzle sticks
- Remember to bring and use your reusable canvas bags
This Message is an excerpt from:
Turn The Tide On Plastics: Remarks To The Marblehead Chamber Of Commerce’S “Greening Your Business” Evening
In Collaboration With Sustainable Marblehead, By Corinthian Yacht Club Past Commodore Robert L. Howie, Jr.
Interview with Dee Cafarri